Mother's Day has passed and we move back into the Mom Hussle. You know, the pace of everyday life that makes us earn the "Best Mom Ever" Hallmark card each May. Or, if you're a mom like me, you might instead receive a card reminding you that you're not the best mom, but rather your son is the #1 person on that day. Insert pink button pin telling the world. I digress.
So, we're back to the real world. Owning the morning like our foremothers (cough cough, yeah right). Running to a job or a home job to put some duty in to the day while we develop ourselves and our surroundings into the dream we are striving to reach. Waiting for the little ones to return from school or maybe even just that hour nap in the middle of the day. We all know that we wear a lot of hats. No matter the amount of children, the number of family members under the roof, the career we work or the friends we try to make time for - the day shifts on a dime in good and aggravating ways waiting for someone to say "Sit down and relax".
This is where I come in. Well, you come in to my story and the way I pamper myself. I don't have much. I'm not dressed to the nine's or filling my counters with beauty supplies. But I treat myself occasionally and can do it an a low cost because I was taught how to do it myself.
As I type this, I've just given myself a pedicure. I do a pretty good job. My mother teaching me at a young age how to manicure my nails and care for them was a gift. It took years of practice to get the left hand to paint as well as the right hand. The years paid off - I think I've got that down pat now. It makes me laugh when I see videos online now of people putting glue on their skin around the nail so they can peel off their mistakes. Sure wish I would have known that the last 20 years! I usually just wait until the polish is completely dry and it easily comes off my skin without chemicals.
I can't do acrylic nails. I think I'm allergic to one of the ingredients in the liquid that presets the nails. If I have the slightest open skin and that liquid touches me, I get shooting pains up my arm and I feel like I'm going to pass out. (Maybe I should find out what that allergy is. Could be life saving one day. Put that on the Mom's Gotta Do This Today List).
I don't paint my fingernails often. I'm a pretty hands on kind of gal and find my polish chipped within 12 hours of fresh paint. But my toes are never unpolished. So today, I lathered up my little princess feet, pushed those cuticles back, filed and painted. Ahhhh, mom pampering.
That's right. I didn't leave my bed. Didn't leave my house. I'm watching some guilty pleasure TV show on E! and pampering myself. So, why is this important?
It's not really. Not in the grand scheme of things. I'm just a bit more relaxed now. I feel a little bit more attractive (because you know, a pedicure does that for a lady). And when my son gets home, I might find the energy to do something a little bit more fun after school than our normal routine.
There's got to be something that we find to do for ourselves. The dog, the cat, the laundry, the food, the not fun shopping, the ironing, toothpaste cleaning upping and the nonstop hussle and hassle of mom hood need to come to a halt sometimes! Frankly, fitting in a trip to the salon can take many months. So, I have to do it myself. I use beard trimmers to shape my brows without plucking. I run a hot bath every now and then because I just can't seem to get that hot tub installed. And, I must say, I use my new skin care products to pamper myself each morning and evening.
Waking up feeling well manicured, relaxed and ready to face the day helps me be a better mom. For some, none of this is hard. There's a different struggle for you. But for me, the care for my hair, skin, nails and the urge to eat better and exercise a little bit more are low on the totem pole. Just getting the opportunity to use salon quality skin care makes me feel a bit more fabulous each day. Then, I throw my wet hair up into a pony tail, pull on some yoga pants, slide into my Nike flip flops and find my loosest t-shirt to complete my chore list. But damn it, my toesies look pretty and my skin looks radiant.
Mom pampering time if over. Now hand me my list so I can get this day going!
Friday, May 19, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Crowns or Courage
'm sure I've spent many days of my life being afraid. I have no doubt that in my childhood, I was nervous climbing trees, trying ...
-
Mother's Day has passed and we move back into the Mom Hussle. You know, the pace of everyday life that makes us earn the "Best Mom ...
-
'm sure I've spent many days of my life being afraid. I have no doubt that in my childhood, I was nervous climbing trees, trying ...
-
I had an interesting conversation with a friend in Missouri last night. While she takes classes to be a Yoga instructor, she has grown in ot...
No comments:
Post a Comment